Match Report vs Sheffield Wednesday Development

By Elliot Makin

AFC Unity’s away trip to Sheffield Wednesday Development’s ground proved to be a tough fixture as they lost 13-1.

From the opening 20 minutes of the match Unity were pinned into their own half by Wednesday. However, Unity defended well and denied Wednesday from converting their numerous opportunities. Unity then broke forward and a cross was delivered into the box with which Wadsworth glanced a header across Wednesday’s goal in the 22nd minute. Wednesday then scrambled a goal into Unity’s net from close range following a brilliant save from Unity’s #1 Lamb making it 1-0 to Wednesday. The game was very uneventful for the next 15 minutes until Wednesday’s winger burst forward and slotted home her shot making the score 2-0. Shortly after this, Wednesday put away another chance extending the lead to 3-0. Despite falling 3-0 down Unity did not throw in the towel and attacked Wednesday’s defence which resulted in a free kick just outside the box with Wadsworth standing over the ball. She takes a shot from the free kick, but the ball flies just over the crossbar. Wednesday responded to Unity’s close chance and decide to throw players forward and as a result they scored 2 goals in quick succession just before the end of the first half making the score 5-0.

In the opening 10 minutes Wednesday started confidently and scored another 3 goals making the score worsen for Unity, 8-0. Although it could have been 9-0 if it wasn’t for Lamb’s great double save in the 55th minute. Wednesday continued to pile on the pressure upon Unity’s defence and a shot fired past Unity’s post. Wednesday pounced upon a loose ball and scored another goal extending the lead to 9-0 in the 62nd minute. There was an instance when Unity’s #17 Vizor made a fantastic last man tackle preventing Wednesday from scoring yet another goal. However, besides the heroics of Vizor Wednesday were able to put another two goals past Unity’s defence making the score 11-0 in the 78th minute. The game quietened down for the next 15 minutes, until Wednesday burst forward and converted another goal making it 12-0. Although Unity were looking at a 12-0 deficit, they didn’t let their heads drop and made sure when they did get their chance they were clinical as there was a sublime cross into Wednesday’s box which was met by #16 Smith who was able to slot home a goal making the score 12-1 in the 88th minute. However, just before the final whistle Wednesday scored to end the game 13-1.

%d bloggers like this: